As the starlet turns 33 today, here’s taking a sneak peek at some lesser known facts about Katrina Kaif!
1. Katrina never went to a school. Instead, her mother homeschooled her through correspondence courses.
2. She is half British and half Indian. Katrina’s father, Mohammed Kaif, is a British businessman of Kashmiri descent, while her mother, Suzanne Turquotte, is an English lawyer. The actress has seven siblings – six sisters and one brother.
3. Though filmmaker Kaizad Gustad’s 2003 venture, Boom, was Kaif’s Bollywood debut vehicle, the actress was supposed to open her Hindi film account with Mahesh Bhatt’s Saaya, opposite John Abraham. But since she couldn’t understand or speak Hindi at all, she was dropped from the project after shooting for two days. Reportedly, Bhatt had spotted Katrina at Taj Lands End coffee shop; he found her so attractive that he offered her Saaya.
4. Katrina’s official surname is Turquotte, which is also mentioned on her passport. The producer of Boom, Ayesha Shroff, changed it to Kaif, as Turquotte wasn’t easy to pronounce.
5. For her 2004 Telugu film, Malliswari, Katrina reportedly charged Rs. 75 lakh – the highest amount paid to a female actor at that point in time, down South.
6. Katrina began her modelling career in London when she was all of 14. During one such stint at a London Fashion Week event, Kaizad Gustad reportedly found her apt for his film and offered her Boom.
7. Call her superstitious, but Katrina religiously visits the Siddhivinayak Temple and Mount Mary Church in Mumbai, and Dargah Sharif in Ajmer before her films hit the cinema halls.
8. Miss Kaif is the first Bollywood actor to have a Barbie doll modelled on her.
9. Her idols from Hollywood? Well, Kat admires Leonardo DiCaprio and Johnny Depp. In Bollywood, she is a big fan of Kajol and Madhuri Dixit.
10. She is passionate about chess and painting.
11. If reports are to be believed, Katrina is afraid of the dark.
12. The actress is fond of English food; Yorkshire pudding is her favourite.
Happy birthday, girl!